Tuesday, April 22, 2008

So, Let's Talk About My Weakness

Years ago, I was certain that my one key strength in running was going uphill. Then I joined the ranks of trail runners and realized that, OOOOOOPS, I'm better at going downhill. Actually, gravity and I, we're pretty close friends now.

Looking ahead to this weekend, I'm really going to have to be smart about my up- and downhills, especially on the powerline section. For those of you who have never been, wait until my report next week. I really can't think of a section of any trail that's more physiologically and psychologically (!) brutal than The Powerlines. Good thing we get to do it twice.

Anyhow, I found a nice little video by Wasatch Speed Goats Karl Meltzer and Scott Mason. It gave me some good tips, and mabye it'll help you.

3 comments:

David Ray said...

"When you're going up a hill that's really steep, and you can't run any more, you should probably just walk."

Classic.

I like the one they did on Downhill Running too.

Gotta Run..... said...

I am far better on the downhills myself. In a trail race last year some seasoned runners gave us those same tips. It saved me!!!

Unknown said...

good luck in the race this weekend