Thursday, May 15, 2008

Atlanta Trails 2.0

Less than a week ago, I launched the Atlanta Trails Map project in the hope that one or two people would help me build a map with all the dirt trail locations in Atlanta. And the response has been overwhelming! So many people either e-mailed me with information, posted on the GUTS forum or went into the application themselves to make changes. And the results were amazing! Never did I think were there more than 15 or maybe 20 trails in Atlanta. The count is now up to 30+! Thank you, thank you, thank you to all who helped out!

The map will live on in the side bar to the right. Feel free to link directly to the map from your blog. It’s a resource created by trail runners for trail runners and sooooo web 2.0!

To The Locals
I hope you explore some of the new trails you may have never heard about. My personal favorite has always been East Palisades, in case you’re looking for a suggestion.

To The Out-of-Towners
Enjoy this resource for those times that you come to Atlanta, but furthermore consider doing something similar for your hometown. I’ll be glad to help set it up for you and to share my learnings.

Happy Trails!

6 comments:

Kevin said...

Thanks for such a great asset

Kevin said...

Hey I just noticed you have Central Park in Cumming there. As far as I know, that trail is for bikes only. I wish running was allowed, my neighborhood backs up to it

Dave - Atlanta Trails said...

Kevin, don't thank me, but the community. I was simply the enabler.

I made a note of your comment on Central Park. Somebody else added that trail, so it's basically "run at your own risk". :)

Gotta Run..... said...

now that is really cool. Love the the trail miles added up so fast. Exciting stuff!!!

Adelyn said...

what a great idea! This will be such a great resource for people in the area and people visiting. I hope your info sources keep growing!

Jean Pommier said...

Dave, you are definitely my preferred Atlantan (ok, I don't know another one, but still! ;-).

Thanks so much for doing this, hope to have the opportunity to visit sometimes.

Jean.
Farther Faster

PS: what, you have trails forbidden to runners, what is that??