Friday, May 9, 2008

The Atlanta Trails Map Project

How about a collaborative post? I sometimes get e-mails from out-of-town visitors inquiring about the nearest trails. This sparked an idea to create a map with an overview of all the different trails in the area. All you have to do now is click the map below, hit any of the blue buttons and, voila, you get a short description of the trail (terrain, distance, etc.) and can click the link for your customized directions. Pretty cool, isn’t it?

Now, let’s do this together.
The trails that are currently on the map are the ones that I regularly run. There are many more in the Atlanta area, so please add them (just hit the edit button). Also, if you disagree with my description, simply improve it. Think of it as Wikipedia but for trails in Atlanta. I’m looking forward to seeing this resource grow!


P.s. You have to have a Google/gmail account to edit. If you don't have one, just send me an e-mail and I will add you to the list of authors (which is NOT necessary if you're already a member of Google universe). Hope that makes sense. Thanks, Rahn, for helping me figure this out.

8 comments:

Kevin said...

What a great resource. I am always looking for info on new trails to run on here around Atlanta. There really hasnt been any good resources up to this point.

Anonymous said...

Great idea. Unfortunately, I couldn't edit it to add to it. (Probably because you created it.)

(Was going to add Tribble Mill and Little Mulberry in Lawrenceville.)

Dave - Atlanta Trails said...

Rahn - You have to have a Google/Gmail account to edit. If you do not have one, send me an e-mail and I'll invite you.

runningtwig said...

Great idea Dave! And hey, I was looking a the map - I forgot how close Atlanta is to Chattanooga. You should check out some races there. I have a crew headed there in two weeks for a half/full trail marathon. Rock Creek puts on some good races!

Chris O'Keefe said...

Great. I visit Alpharetta every few months and get tired of the concrete greenway. Tx for the help in finding some new places to run.

Alpinista said...

Wow, thanks so much for posting this. I am new to Atlanta and still trying to figure my way around this place, and find good spots to run. This is a GREAT resource!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm a doofus. I thought I was signed in. Guess the heat is getting to me.

Glad to see this is being updated.

Anonymous said...

Good idea Dave - I always wished that there would be some sort of resource about local trails around ATL.